ab Chasing Kate: Upgrade

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Upgrade

Well I finally did what I said I was going to do since March 2006- I moved. I finally learned exactly how much I could tolerate and put up with and living with a never-before-disciplined three year-old is where I draw the line. Last Wednesday I loaded up every last little belonging on my tileshka (wheelbarrow) and it’s added up to quite a bit (thanks to all the packages I’ve gotten!). All day I moved back and forth answering all my neighbors questions, “where are you going? Are you leaving? Will we still see each other? What happened? Did they offend you? Did you have a fight?” I politely declined to answer any questions that may put my family in a negative light. They have already been shamed enough in my village from having their American move out- undoubtedly because of something they did.

So I moved down the street to another family. I live in a “townhouse” in the way that you all understand it, 2 stories, bedrooms on the top floor, kitchen and living room downstairs. All in all I say: upgrade. I have running water (from morning until 5 p.m.), and an indoor toilet, both conveniences I’ve gotten used to living without but make daily life just that much more comfortable. The family is great, they’ve already proven that they’re much more willing to give than take (a complete 180 from my other host family). The mom heard from the daughter that I love to bake so they went out and bought a brand new, functioning oven since their old one was broken. It felt like Christmas. So there’s a mom, a dad, an aunt, a 17-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl. The mom and dad are building a new house so they’re never here and the aunt is in charge of overseeing everything while they’re gone. I’m already in love with the 10-year-old girl, Elena. She’s so adorable and makes me laugh all the time. My mom commented that she’s surprised she does not annoy me, hanging around me all the time, but the truth is that this is the family that I wanted from the very beginning. I love kids around the 9-15 age because they already have their own personality and sense of humor.

It was a huge decision emotionally, whether or not to stay or go but I know I made the right choice. When you’ve counted how long I’ve been here, 6 months left seems like nothing, but to me it was worth my peace and quiet to get acquainted to a new family in a new place and although I’ve only been here a week, it already feels like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home